Peter,

I still have no exact idea what both instructions do (waiting for the book of books) , but your stmt

>>  Both LBEAR and STBEAR are created for OS's other than z/OS

let me hope that both where for ALSO not for the little stepbrother z/VSE.

And now I can even visualise "constructive" use for my (wrong) idea of addressing the location (and not the hardware as Ed pointed out).

Martin