I suspect we are boring the cr@p out of everyone else but

> I wouldn't regard those two as different

Well, I suppose. I see a big difference between "if you see the string
'GETMAIN' or "FREEMAIN' or "ATTACH' highlight it" and "highlight any line that
beings with .*" but yeah, diff'rent strokes ...

Abe used the term macro in the two different contexts: "I added more macros [to
the list that includes GETMAIN]" and "I was disappointed that macro .* comments
don't work." (Gross paraphrasing of Abe on my part.) Notepad++ refers to both
capabilities as keywords, so that supports your view.

> I suppose that might be done by modifying the core code of Notepad++
> itself, but I doubt that's what you did.

Correct. IIIRC Notepad++ is gnu free but not open source. I could be wrong. In
any event, that is not what I did. I used a supported customization-type
facility.

It's done in XML. Here is what my actual formatting customization looks like:

<NotepadPlus>
    <UserLang name="HLASM" ext="zasm" udlVersion="2.1">
        <Settings>
            <Global caseIgnored="yes" allowFoldOfComments="no" foldCompact="no"
forcePureLC="1" decimalSeparator="0" />
            <Prefix Keywords1="no" Keywords2="no" Keywords3="no" Keywords4="no"
Keywords5="no" Keywords6="no" Keywords7="no" Keywords8="no" />
        </Settings>
        <KeywordLists>
            <Keywords name="Comments">00* 01 02 03 04</Keywords>
            <Keywords name="Numbers, prefix1"></Keywords>
            <Keywords name="Keywords1">A AD ADB ADBR ADR ADTR ADTRA AE AEB AEBR
AER AFI AG AGF ...
            <Keywords name="Keywords4">ABEND ALESERV ASASYMBM ATTACH ATTACHX ...

Charles