From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf
Of Jonathan Scott
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2023 12:42
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Macro variable attributes

Robert Ngan writes:
> The ability to do the SETA inside the macro really simplifies our
> code, but it's implementation seem to be somewhat flaky. Sometimes it
> work, other times it get errors.

It doesn't fail with the latest level, and I suspect this might be a symptom of
the problem fixed by PH50923 in November 2022, for which the PTF on z/OS is
UI83375.

The problem was that if a macro parameter variable had been referenced before
being used in a SETA, it may have already been parsed and marked as "not
numeric" which unfortunately caused the new SETA support code to be bypassed,
going straight to the existing error case.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK