Hi, Abe -

In the version of the PoP that I'm looking at, it states that ". Except where
otherwise indicated, ...DFP [is defined] in terms of the right-units view. So I
think that's just a convention in the documentation.

As far as LUV vs RUV, a given value is represented the same in a register or
storage regardless of whether you view it as LUV or RUV.  These are just
"views" at the number.  You can view it as if the decimal point is either to
the right of the leftmost digit (LUV) or to the right of the rightmost digit
(RUV). In other words it's sort of like saying 1.234 * 102 (LUV) is the same as
1234 * 10-1 (RUV). If you look carefully, you’ll see that the biases for the
exponent in figure 20-2 differ by the same amount as the number of digits in
the significand. By considering the bias as having changed, it just accounts
for where the decimal point is even though the representation is the same. It’s
just a question of how you want to view the number. I probably didn’t explain
this very well but I hope you get  the idea.

Frankly, I think this whole LUV vs RUV discussion is more confusing than
helpful but I guess some people like to think of their numbers as x.xxxx * 10y
and others prefer to think of them as xxxxx * 10z.

And figure 9-1 is just showing the possible range of values with an unbiased
exponent. It’s not meant to indicate any representation of the top/bottom of
the range in memory which uses biased exponents.

HTH,

Gary