Having looked through the Net:SSLEAY readme, there's a bunch that suggests
that it's best to compile your own net:ssleay and OpenSSL on the same
machine with the same settings. I've not done that, and never have (nor do
I have the skillset to do much more than run a simple make command).  I'd
love to find the time to give this a go, but what do you all think - could
this be it?  Why would gmail.com always be bad, but others not (that I've
seen)?