very good news, and some not so good news with 16273.

I watched this same 11MB attachment come across using the Shutdown_list
(about 15,000,000 bytes after all said and done).  It transferred in about
40 seconds.  As in OUTSTANDING SPEED.  As in, whatever you did has made a
HUGE HUGE difference.  (looking at the code, nice work.  clever)

HOWEVER, I had to revert as the email never seemed to complete.  *It then
just sat with the idle / damping time increasing indefinitely. * All SSL
connections did this too, fast transfer,then idle forever.  I didn't have
the time to test non-SSL connections.

I tried restarting for safe measure just to be sure.  Same problem.  Once I
went back to 16271, normal behavior resumed.

Seems close, but not quite right....