>HTML::strip

html parsing to get text parts has nothing to do with html de(en)coding

>iso-8559-1
ASSP processes all content as UTF-8

>­
ASSP is aware about this - and replaces soft-hyphens with hard-hyphens -
and multiple concurrent hard-hyphens with a single one
How ever - the option to remove the soft-hyphens instead, sounds somehow
better. Tests are still running.

>My thinking is that if it doesn't display.....
ASSP does'nt know if something displayed or not (and will never know it)

>I suspect that other characters will be abused in the same way
  as well as several BIG5, numerical and other unicode characters are
already special handled by assp. Other CTL-chars are ignored by assp.
Everything is converted to UTF8, unicode normalized (including grapheme
clusters), stemmed and simplyfied.

>This kind of obfuscation goes hand in hand with my previous questions
about considering some non-Latin characters that look like Latin
characters as those Latin alphabet characters.

With some unicode knowledge, some help from the analyzer and some regex
knowledge - such things are easy to find
for example : <<<\P{Cyrillic}\p{Cyrillic}+\P{Cyrillic}>>>
finds a sequence where cyrillic (a p b ....) are used in words - commonly
used by spammers

Thomas

Von:    "K Post" <nntp.p...@gmail.com>
Datum:  06.09.2022 16:16
Betreff:        [Assp-test] soft hyphen fooling Bayesian analysis

Is there a way to improve the way that ASSP parses certain special,
non-printing, characters?  I'm having trouble with spam emails that have
their body heavily obfuscated with "soft hyphens" slipping through.  They
all seem to have multipart bodies, first with an iso-8559-1 text part with
=AD interterspersed in words and then an html part with &shy; all over the
place.  These are the "soft hyphen," a hyphen that only prints if it is
needed to break the word to the next line.  It's clever.  The user doesn't
see the character, but ASSP thinks it's a word boundary.

The part first part
will be plain text, and have have spammy words with =AD inserted in the
middle of them, for example, "This is a sentence with spammy phrase."
could be written something like
This is a sentence with sp=ADammy p=ADhr=ADase.

The next mime part is the html, which does the same thing, but uses &shy;
(html for soft hyphen) mid-word.  So, something like:

The whole body of the message is filled with these soft hyphens anywhere
that there's spammy words/phrases, and in many cases, there are soft
hyphens every couple of letters across the entire body.  When I do an
analysis, it appears that the soft hyphen tricks ASSP into thinking that
each part of the word is a separate word, so for sp&shy;ammy
p&shy;hr&shy;ase, it thinks the words are
sp ammy p hr ase

I am using HTML::strip.  Would TreeBuilder work better?  I'm concerned
about performance there.

Is there a way (and is it a good idea) to somehow instruct ASSP to treat
certain html special characters as ones to ignore, and others to be
treated as a word separator?  My thinking is that if it doesn't display,
then it should be ignored when doing bayesian / HMM evaluation.

https://cs.stanford.edu/people/miles/iso8859.html has a bunch of Control
Characters and Special Characters that don't print - or in the case of the
soft hyphen, only print when the contained word is at the end of a line.
I suspect that other characters will be abused in the same way.

This kind of obfuscation goes hand in hand with my previous questions
about considering some non-Latin characters that look like Latin
characters as those Latin alphabet characters.

Thanks

[Anhang "attz351u.txt" gelöscht von Thomas Eckardt/eck] [Anhang
"att8gq15.txt" gelöscht von Thomas Eckardt/eck]