Glenn, by chance or bad luck one of our production runs trashed older
data (which resulted in severe dataloss problems. We DO have backups,
but it may take months to recover from this). After a lengthy search
we traced the problem down to the issue that AST mktemp generated the
same temporary file names twice, almost exactly 96 hours apart. I
don't know how or why (my staff is still looking), but I was told the
default name length is insufficient for large, shared file systems
which receive almost 2000 mktemp calls per minute from different
machines. Sourly I've recognised that the problem is known by POSIX,
as http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/mkstemp.html
dryly remarks it's "possible to run out of letters". Yay.

My request would be to increase the default temporary file name length
returned by the AST mktemp command if the filesystem supports this.

Lionel