I'm just throwing this out there, but what if the "pattern" (we'll use that
name for now, although I'm not sure I like it as the final name) could
itself define new types.  Then, if you provided a standard config (i.e.,
the sample config) which defined some set of standard types (phone,
itsp/trunk, whatever) you could have configurations with semantics similar
to what Josh originally proposed.  It also means a user of Asterisk can
look at the config for the pattern and both see what it's doing under the
hood (vs. being in the code somewhere) and also modify it for their own
needs if they'd like to.

Anyway, just a thought.