On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Seán C. McCord <ule...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As James mentioned at the top, chan_sip is already de facto deprecated.
>  The discussion (at devcon) was centered around making it _officially_
> deprecated.
>
> For clarity, deprecation is NOT the same thing as removal.  (It is also
> not depreciation, the reduction in value of something.)  Deprecation is the
> declaration that something is not approved.  Using chan_sip has not been
> recommended for a long time.
>
> It _is_ important to officially deprecate chan_sip because it is really
> isn't being maintained as it would otherwise need to be.  There is no
> reasonable way _to_ maintain it.   Users should _know_ of that status, and
> that status is highly unlikely to change.
>

> What is _also_ needed, however, is more use of PJSIP and reports of
> specific problems, and specific deficits of PJSIP so that the fear can be
> eased before, at some point many years from now, chan_sip just doesn't work
> any more.

I think it's probably premature to conclude that marking chan_sip
deprecation is the right answer at this time.  I would argue that there are
many more modules in Asterisk's code base that have less maintenance than
chan_sip but are still permitted to be there.

I do think that the exercise of finding problematic scenarios and missing
features is useful right now, as it allows us to continue to improve
chan_pjsip and see if there are problematic scenarios or missing critical
features.  But my point of view is what I have already said - it is
premature to mark it as deprecated.

Matthew Fredrickson

> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM Troy Bowman <t...@lump.net> wrote:
>
>> I sincerely hope they don't deprecate it.  The pjsip code might seem fine
>> in development and test environments, but I am still afraid of using it in
>> production.  I see too many issues with it regularly on this list.  I can't
>> gamble stability versus my job security.
>>
>> From my perspective, chan_sip doesn't get bugfixes because it doesn't
>> seem to need them.  It just works.  I have had zero issues with it for
>> several years.
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 8:55 AM, James Finstrom <jfinst...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> One does not simply depricate a sip stack.
>>>
>>> Ok so at devcon there was a discussion of depricating chan_sip. This may
>>> sound a lot worse than it actually is. Chan_sip has been essentially
>>> untouched in 4ish years. It does not receive bug fixes. It is just sort of
>>> a barge floating in the ocean.
>>>
>>> So one of the things that is needed to finally put Chan sip to bed is
>>> feature parody.  Someone brought up CCSS.
>>>
>>> What features do you feel you would lose going from chan_sip to pjsip.
>>>
>>> Are there any bugs in pjsip that keep you from migrating?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>
> --
> Seán C McCord