I think this letter, if I were to write to only one person, would be Josh Colp.

But I know that Josh would appreciate my asking in this forum, so all could enjoy the question and its answer.

My Question is this: A decade (or more) ago, I had high  hopes of masquerade() being obsolesced in Asterisk, with the introduction of channel bridging. But, I see in rel 20, that masquerade still exists, and is used in parking, queues, and looking thru the ChangeLog, a lot of work has been done to correct problems, and work around masqueraded channels. I saw this comment:

<from 2017-03-15> (Richard Mudgett)

   "Dereferencing struct ast_autochan.chan without first calling
     ast_autochan_channel_lock() is unsafe because the pointer could change at      any time due to a masquerade. Unfortunately, ast_autochan_channel_lock()      itself uses struct ast_autochan.chan unsafely and can result in a deadlock      if the original channel happens to get destroyed after a masquerade in
     addition to the pointer getting changed."

    "The problem is more likely to happen with v11 and earlier because
      masquerades are used to optimize out local channels on those versions
      However, it could still happen on newer versions if the channel is
      executing a dialplan application when the channel is transferred or
      redirected. In this situation a masquerade still must be used."

While my work revolves largely around asterisk, this issue comes up over and over, especially when it's time to upgrade to a new version of Asterisk. I keep intending to ask about it, but finally, I have this chance. Why exactly is masquerade() still necessary? I am asking more out of curiosity than condemnation or other negative reasons!  I would love to understand the issues, perhaps at some point in time, I may be able to help.

murf