In my opinion, Debian is the best for compiling programs, because you can
'apt-get' any dependencies and its respective dependencies in a quick and clean way.
You can also use auto-apt.
        And if you don't want to compile, you can 'apt-get install asterisk' and get
asterisk running in seconds :-). But, I prefer the cvs version of asterisk.

[]'s
Eduardo