Hi Dave,

I think it will. We have a very similar requirement...

>My aim is simply to have incoming calls identified (using CID) and logged,
>then initiating a request - from the relevant client pc - to the webserver
>for a specific page (the customer history/details page).

We're working towards exactly the same.

>Connect to telephone line - can I use a simple PCI modem on a standard POTS
>line for testing purposes?;

No. An ISDN card is your quickest way to get started. Beyond that you'll
need a card from Digium.

>Configure for routing incoming calls to the client machines using VOIP -
>this means the client machines (on a lan) need a headset with mic and can
be
>used instead of a telephone?;

No problem. You'll need a softphone on each PC such as X-Lite or may prefer
to get a POTS card from Digium and keep standard handsets.

>Configure for CID value to cross-reference customer database, then
(somehow)
>instruct the client machine to request the relevant customer details page.
>As I'm unable to implement http-push due to client machines running mainly
>MSIE, I was thinking, even a basic messenger pop-up displaying customer
name
>and number might suffice;

We're doing this with a simple web-service providing tray-app on the client
PC. Asterisk can call Perl scripts so we're having one which will call the
appropriate client PC and pass the caller ID. The tray app then fires up IE
with the CLID in the URL.

>I'd also like the ability to perform http-get and post operations directly
>from the asterisk box as the web server is in a remote location (via VPN);

Shouldn't be a problem.

>I realise I could simply use a smaller module to pull out the CID but,
>frankly I'm interested in the PBX functionality too for future development.
>
>Is asterisk the right tool for me and am I thinking along the right lines
>with the above?

Very much. Can't recommend it highly enough.