Mike Myers wrote:

Hi..  I am about to replace my aging Nortel Venture
system with an Asterisk system and 6 Polycom IP 501
phones, and a couple sipura 841's for less used areas.

We have 3 phone lines here.  One is SBC, one Vonage,
and one Voipjet...  One hangup is that I can't figure
out how to pass through a voicemail waiting indication
from SBC.  This is important because my wife and her
family all exchange voicemails with each other on the
SBC voicemail system.  They can leave messages for
each other without having the phones ring, etc...  We
have a 2 yr old at home, and her sister has some small
kids too, so that's how they manage to send voicemails
when they are unsure if the kids are sleeping, etc... Anyway, preserving this capability of using the SBC VM
and being notified when a message is waiting is
critical for good WAF.
The vonage line and voipjet line can be intergrated
into the Asterisk VM.  My Nortel venture phones light
the MWI if any line has VM on it, and the display
tells you which lines have VM waiting.  I would love
to be able to duplicate this function on the Polycom's
and hopefully the Sipura's as well.

I've looked for answers on this, but haven't found
one, hence the post.  My apologies if I have missed
something.
Thanks much,
Mike
You haven't missed much.
With SBC you are out of luck, since Asterisk doesn't detect dialtone ( it dials blind, sometimes too quickly for the CO to catch the first digit, resulting in wrong numbers )) or stutter dialtone either, and reportedly has had any indication of the DC status of a POTS line removed due to problems.

Only choice would to port the number to a VOIP provider and provide the VM in Asterisk.
Similar problem with Vonage VM.

John Novack