Juraj Bednar wrote:
Hello,

   I just got my Soekris 4801 box for use with Asterisk, but not as a
primary Asterisk server.

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Is @home or regular better?)

   If you want to run from CF, I recommend running some distribution
(that does not take much space) and your own Asterisk... I'm not even
sure if it be that easy to install Asterisk on Soekris in the first
place.

        It should take less than five minutes:

        http://www.astlinux.org

    I found documentation not being that good for installs, I found a
wonderful page describing the install process:
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=22

* Shorwall firewall

    Try to get a real firewall, Shorewall has quite high latency. You
should optimize...

Shorewall is an abstraction layer for iptables. I don't know what you mean by "real firewall" but iptables does the work here. It most certainly is a real firewall. Shorewall probably has high latency because it adds a lot of frivolous rules (just like every other firewall utility of it's kind).

What is the CF size you are using? and how much is still free? What have
you installed?

     For my setup I installed OpenBSD, although I primarily use Debian
GNU/Linux. The OpenBSD choice was because of the vpn card for Soekris,
which is better supported under OpenBSD. I installed the base package
except games and manual pages, about 60MB was still free (I used 256MB
compact flash card).

You can use the flashboot script to generate a nice trimmed down OpenBSD environment...

--
Kristian Kielhofner