Hello,

I'm looking to develop some custom AGI that will be MySQL intensive.  It
appears Asterisk supports many different development environments.  Which
would be best suited for Asterisk and MySQL?

It's generally fastest to use FastAGI (over TCP/IP), rather than regular AGI as this means the OS isn't starting a new process for each call (just like it's faster to use PHP or Servlets rather than old-school CGI for serving web pages). This also means you can run your AGI application on a different server, if you want to, so as not to compromise Asterisk performance.

If you know Java, you could try OrderlyCalls at http://orderlycalls.sourceforge.net (disclaimer - written by me!) which has full FastAGI and Manager support, reusable object pooling, and can be run inside Tomcat to build integrated web and telephony applications, though there are other packages out there, including Asterisk-Java ( http://asterisk-java.sourceforge.net - written by Stefan Reuter).

   Hope this helps,

      Matt King, Orderly Software
http://www.orderlyq.com - probably the most advanced queue system in the world!