From: Henry Junior <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I want to issue a System cmd in my dialpan that is similar to the
unix echo command stated above. *EXCEPT* that I want to pipe the
results into a *new* variable (vs a text file.)

Ideally, what would happen is in my diaplan I would issue the 'echo |
date' command and pipe the output to a newly created variable with
the appropriate output.

example:
NewVariable=Mon Aug 29 18:32:45 EDT 2005

Do you know how I can do this?

Assuming that you want to execute some Unix commands and feedback the output as variables to the dialplan in Asterisk this is possible with an AGI bash script. Use the 'set variable' command
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=set+variable

You can use the example at
http://yakko.cs.wmich.edu/~drclaw/asterisk/cidname/  , reuse the framework to read the standard AGI variables and rewrite it to your own code.

Regards,