I use HT488, and I can make and receive FXO calls. It's actually quite simple, you create a SIP acount in sip.conf. On the FXO section of HT488 web admin page you enter these registration values. When you reboot the HT488 you should see it registering on Asterisk CLI.

What's left is a dialplan line in extensions.conf like this:
exten => 9,1,Dial(SIP/<sip acount name>,10)

I've tried your example shown here. When I dial 9 I get dial tone from the HT488 but I when I try to dial, nothing happens (i.e. I keep hearing dial tone even though I'm dialing). Any ideas?

That may be related with the dtmfmode. Can you try inband? I believe rfc2833 should work too, but once you have it working with inband, you can test the rest.

Also I think you'd like to use PCMU codec on HT488, other codecs may cause DTMF detection problems (iLBC seems fine though).

In short, I would play with DTMF and codec parameters on both sides.
Hope this helps,
Soner