I think STUN is quite widely supported by hardphones. I'd be interested to know if STUN is a magic fix to SIP & NAT - I've a feeling that its not.

Derek

Waldo Rubinstein wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other. I'm mostly interested in running open source solutions, so I would prefer if your recommendations are within the open source arena.

Basically, I contemplated the idea of using SER as a NAT Helper and possibly as a SIP server for a portion of our user base. We prefer to have Asterisk in the mix because of the additional wealth of features it can add to the SIP services (e.g. voicemail, ivr, call queueing, etc).

All of our clients are behind NATs, mainly basic NATs such as linksys routers behind DSL modems.

I read on the wiki that STUN is not readily supported by most clients, so I don't know if its worth the effort or if we should just concentrate on getting SER working with Asterisk.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Waldo

Derek Conniffe
Rivertower Ltd
Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400
Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719
United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
International: 00 353 1 244 9719
Derek Conniffe DDI: 01 201 0146 (International: 00 353 1 201 0146)
Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
Fax: 01 201 0085 (International: 00 353 1 201 0085)
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com

begin:vcard
fn:Derek Conniffe
n:Conniffe;Derek
org:Rivertower Ltd;IT
adr:Dublin 2;;46 Upper Mount Street;Dublin;Dublin;Dublin 2;Ireland
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:+353 1 201 0146
tel;fax:+353 1 201 0085
tel;cell:+353 86 856 3823
note;quoted-printable:Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400=0D=0A=
	Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719=0D=0A=
	United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368=0D=0A=
	International: 00 353 1 244 9719=0D=0A=

url:http://www.rivertowerhosting.com