Hi Sean,

We operate a VSAT network here in the Philippines (using Shiron, FDMA Bandwidth on Demand) and offer VoIP using asterisk. We do not sell our voip to our gilat clients since gilat has a higher latency (since it uses TDMA). Try to look for a satellite provider that has an average (to your country of voip destination) latency of below 600-800 ms and it must be consistent.

Also since, satellite has low upload bandwidth, try to have QoS behind the satellite modem and prioritize VoIP traffic
cxpcman wrote:

Sean Rima wrote:

I live in a very rural area, BB access will never happen and the only
choice I have it Satellite. I seen from a post to this list that Gilat
sat modems are not recommended. Is this still the case or is there
another alternative?

Sean

Well is not recommended because of the seektime . the information you send and recive have a delay no matter how fast your conection is .. so you gonna hear the voice out of time . wire have a lot faster response times than air soo... ur choice