Cisco seem to be moving their CCM users to Linux. At least I have heard of a few users going that way, after Cisco recommended it.

CCM doesn't usually handle anything near to hard real-time, so it is a lot less demanding than something like Asterisk.

Regards,
Steve

Wayne wrote:

Hiyall,
been following this for a while, just thought I would add a bit to the debate, but doesn't the Cisco system (Call Manager?) run on an Windows 2000 based server - if it was that bad why would Cisco choose to run it? Also 3Com use NT/2000 to run the H323 gateway. Admittedly the call processor runs on VXWorks but to cross the boundary of proprietary 3com and rest of world - they jump onto windows.

Curiously
Wayne.
ps I don't know a great deal about the cisco system - its more hearsay so please jump in on :)

Patrick wrote:

Reminds me of an Internet Call Diversion pilot WorldCom did back in 2000
where Alcatel & some M$ drones brought in 2 very big Alpha servers
running NT. These boxes needed to be rebooted multiple times. They were
surprised WCOM felt having to reboot these boxes all the time was
unacceptable in an environment requiring 5nines availability. Never
laughed so hard when I saw the incredulous faces of the M$ drones. We
brought in a Stratus based solution and won the project.