I have also been looking for a way to customize voicemail (I want to add a "pause" feature and change the promps). I have come to the same conclusions as to where to do it, but have not yet created a solution. I have found this posting/forum which gives insight into modifying the "app_voicemail.c" file but does not directly address our issues, it's good info however:

http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_2952.html

Something tells me it will be a combination of modification, agi and dialplan.

There is also another person with the similar goals here:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1363794&forum_id=420324

If you examine the app_voicemail.c file it refers to these links/people who contributed to different language translations and additions:

* 12-16 - 2005 : Support for Greek added by InAccess Networks (work funded by HOL, www.hol.gr)
*                                George Konstantoulakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
* 05-10 - 2005 : Support for Swedish and Norwegian added by Daniel Nylander, http://www.danielnylander.se/
*
* 05-11 - 2005 : An option for maximum number of messsages per mailbox added by GDS Partners (www.gdspartners.com)
*                                Stojan Sljivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*
* 07-11 - 2005 : An issue with voicemail synchronization has been fixed by GDS Partners (www.gdspartners.com)
*                                Stojan Sljivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

And of course there is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (I'm not ready to bother him yet, although someone willing to spearhead a Japanese translation project might get some attention or at least a reference).

I would love to hear about anyone's success in this area! And I will be sure to post my progress in these threads.