I am the network administrator for a small school in Michigan.  We are currently using an older proprietary pbx system and are trying very hard to get away from this one vender lock in. I have set up an asterisk server using the version 1.2 of asterisk.  Our current system uses mailboxes and extensions for teachers to dial a *#### (ex. *6913) enter a password and then record the homework that they have assigned for the week.  Then when a parent calls from the outside they are redirected through a prompt system to the correct class and they are redirected to mailbox 6913 without the ability to record a message there.  Even if a teacher wanted to they can’t edit this from the outside for security reasons.  Also in this system is an automated school closing system along the same lines where the superintendent dials a number, puts in a password, and chooses an option for school closing reasons “1. Fog delay for 2 hours, 2. Snow closing” and this message is automatically taken off the system and the default message is restored at 12:00am.  I am very new to asterisk and any help would be appreciated.

Johnathan Falk

Network Administrator

Clinton Community Schools

1-517-442-9622