Hi,

I am running Asterisk 1.2 and zaptel 1.2 with the latest Digium board version.

Thanks

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 08:54, Chuck Bunn wrote:
What I do not understand is how dropped packets prevent the fax from
working. Faxes are designed to adopt to noise on the line by reducing
their connection speed. It seems like their is something else besides
packet loss going on here. Also why would the board work for receiving
faxes but not sending???

Faxes are designed to work around the noise and other signal problems inherent in analog telephony. VOIP introduces an entirely different set of noise factors that fax machines are frankly ill-equipped to deal with. Jitter and dropped packets are the biggest of these issues.

Now which version of Zaptel are you running (not Asterisk, Zaptel) -- was it part of the Asterisk 1.0.x series, are you running 1.2 or CVS HEAD? It is a possibility that this issue is fixed now in CVS HEAD (possibly 1.2 as well, I haven't been keeping track), so it is advisable to try the latest version of Zaptel. You do not need to upgrade to the latest Asterisk in order to use the latest Zaptel.

-A.