Douglas Garstang wrote:

The issues of NAT, call limit handling and registration expiration don't sound
quite so bad. I think we can live with those, if we can in fact just get a
central location database. Do you have any suggestions or ideas about how this
can be implemented with Asterisk? Because, honestly, right now this current
limitation is proving to be a real thorn in our side.

There is no known answer at this time; there are many discussions occurring about this topic and various ways of addressing it, but they are all theoretical at this point and nobody has come up with a solid design.