Tom Rymes wrote:

Also, if these tenants are not related, then why not run more than one Asterisk server and avoid interconnecting them? Sure, you'll have multiple systems to maintain, but they will be smaller, less complex systems. Also, since each company is unrelated, there is little benefit to having them all on the same server (no need to dial between offices, etc)

I agree.  You have an exact multi-tenant setup.

I would take each of the E1 connections and plug them into a server, one for each floor. If one of the servers runs out of connectins on its E1, then it can use the outbound lines from an * for another floor. You do not want the entire building to have an outage.

You happen to have 8 E1 and 8 floors, right? If not, then you can have any floors that don't have a direct E1 connection dial out through the * servers that do have an E1.

Also, *do not* run fax over SIP if at all possible. You will need channel banks to handle the faxes. Setup a hylafax server so each tenant can receive faxes over email, and send them from their computers, or just strike up a deal with efax for the building.

Mike