Hi Johnathan, this will help.

Exten => 611000,1,Answer()

Exten => 611000,2,DigitTimeout(3)

Exten => 611000,3,Background(/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/Welcome)

Exten => _XXXXXX,1,SetVar(entereddigits=${EXTEN})

Exten => _XXXXXX,2,Authenticate(${entereddigits},a)

Exten => _XXXXXX,3,Playback(${entereddigits})

Exten => _XXXXXX,4,Record(${entereddigits})

Exten => _XXXXXX,5,Hangup()

that was a fast example. Remember that Record() application will save your sounds by default in the sounds directory (usually /var/lib/asterisk/sounds), and you can specify the format (wav,ulaw), for more info check voip-info.org, and make a search "record application".
Also remember to use Background() only when you are expecting digits. Otherwise use Playback()

Best Regards.