I am planing on doing it a daemon that can live on the asterisk box or any
box that can run unix and iptables. I will need to reroute packets aimed for
providers box to the box where the daemon lives. In my case using a low
power(15watts) is the way to go. If your asterisk box has the spare power
to run the daemon and iptables that is fine. In my case as a home user
I am planning on moving from PC based asterisk to low power box (linksys WRT54g)
which should be able to handle 2 active connection with about 8 extension.

On 12/31/05, Stewart Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Mike,

> This is wanted because using to ATA back to back creates a number of
> problems with echo. Also a delay for CID and problems with DTMF decoding.
> Keep everything digital is the way to go.

Agreed.  But before getting started with Asterisk, I posted a similar idea
to the group; it was met with a quite cool reception, on and off-list.  See
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-October/068932.html .
I ended up avoiding Vonage and using multiple other providers.

That said, I believe that many users of non-BYOD ITSPs would benefit from
a proxy such as you describe.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone
that has implemented it yet.  If you undertake such a project, IMO you
should do it in Asterisk, or as a separate process that can run on the
same machine as Asterisk, because many more people would use it and
contribute to its development.

--Stewart