Tim Litwiller wrote:

Installation is very simple. Simply download the prompts to a directory on your Asterisk server. Any will do. Once you have downloaded the formats you desire, simple follow these steps:

cd /var/lib/asterisk/
mv sounds sounds.orig
tar -xvjf /path/to/sounds.tar.bz2
[repeat last step for other formats]

The audio prompts are available from the "Extras" category in the Downloads section of astlinux.org.

After un packing the files in my sounds directory I now have no sounds/promtps when going to voice mail etc.
and even renaming sounds.orig doesn't get my sounds back.

now what?

I found it - I had to put the x bit back on the directory.