Hi everyone,

I need to build a machine capable of running at least 30 G.729 channels with lots of room to spare because it will be doing some other CPU intensive tasks also.

I've seen Mark's post about being able to run 60 channels on a dual 1.8 Xeon, but that unfortunately raises more questions than it answers.

You see, I may have to build many of these systems, and I need to find a good price/performance ratio, I can't simply go out and buy quad opteron systems for fun. I was trying to find a processor for under $200 to handle this.

Given that, my question is: what constrains the G.729 codec? Is it mostly due to branches (implying a dual CPU or P4 HT architecture will be required) or is it mostly due to floating point (in which case a lower speed AMD might be able to accomplish the same task cheaper and better.)

Anyone have any ideas on this? Looking for feedback.

BTW, can someone answer how the G.729 licensing works? If I change the CPU and motherboard (probably necessitating a kernel change), will my licenses still be valid? What exactly are they keyed to?

Thanks for input on this topic.

Chris Ziomkowski