21 mar 2006 kl. 19.07 skrev Douglas Garstang:

Ready to scream here..

No one is surprised ;-)

1. After 6 months with Asterisk I'm STILL trying to understand the difference between a SIP user, friend and peer.
* A friend is a peer object and a user object. It's just a configuration shorthand, not a type. * A user is someone who uses your PBX to place calls, we match incoming calls on users.
* A peer is someone we place calls to, outgoing calls.

Peers register with Asterisk.

So far, it's simple. In some cases however, the peer is used for incoming calls. This is mostly used
when connecting to service providers.

2. Exactly what resource does Asterisk use to send MWI to registered phones? I thought it was astdb?
How did you come to that conclusion?

You can configure a mailbox for a peer. If you do, we send MWI to peers we have in memory, static
peers or cached realtime peers.

3. It looks like it isn't astdb. It looks like it will only send MWI to a phone if it shows up in 'sip show peers'.
Only peers we have in memory are supported for MWI and qualification.

4. WHY then does a reload clear this list? Doesn't this list come from the astdb file?
I explained this in the bug tracker.

Reload clears everything but registered static peers, these are re- configured from astdb.
We do not support this for realtime peers.

5. Why is this such a damn mess?
I guess it's history. I am trying to clear this up. Follow my work in the test branch and the sippeers branch and you'll see that I've started cleaning this up. The "user" is disappearing and will in chan_sip3 be "device". Chan_sip3 will have these three objects:

* Phone: A device that uses Asterisk as it's PBX for outgoing and incoming calls
* Trunk:                Another PBX or SIP proxy that we peer with
* Service: A service we subscribe to, acting as a phone that connects to it

/Olle