How do you setup asterisk so that the assistant sees the lights but doesn't hear the rings?

picciuX wrote:
damon, i think many guys here missed your point and went away from it. What you want to do is possible: i managed to do that using a GXP-2000 with beta firmare and asterisk 1.2.0. GXP correctly processes the "status change messages" and show a blinking led for the BLF of a ringing extension. The GXP, when you press a "blinking BLF", dials out the blf extension prefixed with '**'. In the dialplan i only needed to do a:

exten => _**XXX,1,Pickup(${EXTEN:2})

to answer the ringing remote extension.
So, IMHO, it's only a matter of the phone. This is not a true "shared line", but does its job well letting an assistant answer his boss' phone. AFAIK, Snoms do a similar thing, dialing out *8<BLF extension> when pressing a ringing button.

Hope this helps....

2006/6/2, Damon Estep <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:

    >  I think there was a patch that went in recently from Mark with
    regard
    > to SIP devices and their state when they are ringing/in use and when
    > they are just "in use". That may help you with what you're asking
    > about.

    Let's assume for a minute that there is a way to get a ringing notify,
    and that the Polycom processes the messages and properly displays the
    status, then;

    1. A hint could be setup that monitors the sip user.
    2. the hint could have a unique extension
    3. the dialplan for the extension could be a call pickup sequence.

    Example (without regard for correct syntax)

    Exten 123,hint,SIP/345
    Exten,123,1,(Need help here -> if sip/345 is idle then goto
    priority 3)
    Exten 123,2,Pickup(SIP/[EMAIL PROTECTED])
    Exten 123,3,Dial(SIP/345)

    Now, on the Polycom

    1. setup a buddy with the correct display name for exten 345, but
    with,
    but with a contact address of 123
    2. turn on presence monitoring (buddy watch in Polycom terms)

    Do you see the value in knowing that an extensions is ringing via
    presence?

    Take it one step further, ask Polycom to implement a feature where the
    presence status of ringing can produce an audible event instead of
    only
    visual events. That is, if it does not already, which I have no
    idea on.