Thomas Kenyon wrote:
John Novack wrote:
Bob Chiodini wrote:

You might put 600 ohm/600 ohm matching transformer to isolate the
port and the amp.  Should also maintain loop current if needed.

Bob...

FXO ports do not  generate loop current, they detect loop current from
the Central office.
Think of an FXO as  a controllable switch and matching transformer.
An FXO port will give Asterisk/Zaptel a red alarm without loop
current, so that probably won't work for a PA system that doesn't
supply battery.
What's wrong with using the (usually) unused sound card built into
many machines?

John Novack
Mostly it uses the wrong impedance, and I know I can probably get an
impedance matching transformer, but I'm not allowed to spend any money
that I don't need to.
(Otherwise I'd have replaced the amp in the first place with one that
didn't fall from the arc).

Won't you still need to maintain the loop current to make the PAP2 look like the port is off-hook? (FXS BTW)

I would think the impedance matching xformer falls int the "need to" category.

Bob...