You still need a hard drive to run FreePBX as far as I know.  Either that
or burn out your 2GB CF drive after a couple months of constant writes.  I
would assume Apache and MySQL would need to go on the HD.  Voicemail can go
there as well.  Linux/Asterisk binaries and base config files can probably
go on the CF read only.  Would this work?

Are there any how-to's around that have done something like this?  It is
starting to make a bit more sense to me to do it this way but I'm no expert.
If I did it this way I would not have a need for RAID so it will probably
come out to about the same price.