I honestly do not see the big deal about using g729.  It is a one-time fee and you would only need to buy as many licenses as you have people in ivr or voicemail if you have g729 phones.  For a business this is not a major expense. You are talking about spending $100-$200 (max $480 for all 48 potential callers if you don't have g729 phones) to expand a T-1 from 23 calls (PRI) to 48 calls by your measurement - a doubling of the usage of the T-1 for less than one month's cost of the T-1.  ROI at less than a month? That's a slam-dunk for most businesses.

Gabriel Afana wrote:

After all the overhead, for uLaw you would need about 90kbps (give or take) and for G.729, you would need about 32kbps (give or take).  Therefore, you would have the following:

uLaw= about 17 calls
g729= about 48 calls

I am trying to start a voip service in my local area and sometimes seeing these numbers make me wonder how using VoIP for larger companies could possibly be profitable if you require a $500+ data T1 just have a decent connect (unless you use g729....?)

- Gabe