Just recently a client of mine took a lightning hit, which in turn blew out their Digium TE411P board. This just so happened to be their main office where their call center was located. We had a backup card on hand, but this still meant downtime for the client until we got out there to replace the card.

I was thinking - what if we put a surge protector device between the PRI card and the circuit itself? That way, the client themselves could replace surge protector units (if it got hit again) and protect our expensive telco equipment from getting damaged.

Has anyone else experience surges on a T1/PRI circuit? What did you do to prevent further issues? Anyone from Digium - do you see a surge protector device causing interferrence or a problem with the equipment?

Example device I'm looking at:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PDIGITEL

Thanks!!