Tigran Kocharyan wrote:
Mike,
If you feel afraid of the next power outage, why not install a more powerfull UPS with a longer run time? Or, as it is in my case, a friend of mine substituted the factory default battery in the UPS with a car battery, that holds the Server for 4-5 hours. Add another battery and it will hold 8-9 hours.
Really funny but it works.

Regards,
Tigran

You know what Tigran, I have been considering exactly that. The UPS that I am using has two 12v batteries in it in series. The batteries don't seem to be holding a charge any longer (which was the start of my woes). They are readily available in the US for about $15 each but seem to be unavailable in Canada. So my plan is to get another UPS for now and work out a better battery solution for the first one as it is a nice UPS with AVR and all that stuff. Thanks for the confirmation that this type of solution would work.

Mike