On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:05 PM, voiplist wrote:

It seems that 911 is important enough that when setting up an Asterisk
box, it should be tested.

How do you go about testing 911 dialing without getting fined for
calling for a non-emergency reason?

Is there some circumstances where you can ask permission from the city
ahead of time?

I realize this may be a real stupid question but I have not seen this
discussed and I am curious.
Actually, not stupid at all. I know in one case I have configured 911 to dial on a 7 digit number for the local police, and I spoke to the police to let them know this is my setup.

In other words, when I dial 911 from my house (shoreline, Washington state USA) I don't want it to dial 911 from my office (FXO is in Seattle) as that would be calling the wrong police to the wrong address. I requested from the Shoreline police that they make a record of the fact that calls to them from my seattle number are actually coming from my shoreline address.

Hopefully I never need to test this under fire...