I don't think there's any authority in North America that tells you whether a number is a cellular number.

However, it's conceivable you could write a script to access information available on, for example, www.telcodata.us, and check the prefix-type for a given phone number. The prefix type for all known (to me) wireless numbers is, in fact, "WIRELESS" -- you can't pay too much attention to the company given on that site, as WLNP makes this information quite superfluous. Keep in mind that LNP in general will make this information much less reliable than it used to be before LNP -- it's now possible to take your landline to a cell-phone and vice versa, so bets are off when it comes to that.

Dovid Bender wrote:
Hi List,
I have sprint pcs cellular service and I discoverd that I am able to send a text message to a landline. If I do I get an SMS from the saying I sent a text message to a landline. Then the landline that I sent a text message to gets a call with my message (text to speach). I was wondering if there was any way for me to detect if a number is a mobile phone or a landline. Is this something that only cellular providers can do or can I have asterisk do it (I asume I would need to create a patch). Thanks a lot. Dovid