Brian Capouch wrote:
Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

Another thing is my understanding of the "peer," "user" and "friend." I thought that a "peer" can only receive calls from either a user or a friend, a "user" sends calls to a peer or friend and a friend is both a peer and a user, however in my production machine I have the following configured:

You have it backwards.

Peers terminate calls--that is they provide a connection to a remote endpoint.
Not true, peers can originate calls into the system as well. When asterisk receives an inbound SIP call it will match the IP against the list of peers. See comments from 1.2 sip.conf

; type = user a device that authenticates to us by "from" field to place calls ; type = peer a device we place calls to or that calls us and we match by host

Leo