You can make RTP pass through Asterisk, or not. Look in voip-info.org
about "Native Bridge" and "sip.conf" "canreinvite" option. And may be
this page will be usefull too:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+SIP+not-proxy

Regards

On 10/31/06, Mike Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey,

This is probably a rather stilly question...

If I pick up my SIP phone that's registered to my asterisk server and dial a
number that asterisk recognises as destined for a SIP trunk (could be a
static route, or an ENUM lookup) or another SIP device registered on said
asterisk server (internal extension to extension call), what route does the
actual audio take?

The control connection (port 5060) obviously goes via the asterisk server as
it has to work out where to send the control to, but I could quite easily
imagine the audio going directly handset to remote server or handset to
asterisk to remote, and handset to handset or handset to asterisk to handset.

Thanks

--
Mike Williams

"Su nombre es GNU/Linux, no solamente Linux, mas info en http://www.gnu.org";