On 6 Nov 2006, at 15:28, Todd- Asterisk wrote:

I've got my asterisk server in the DMZ of my local LAN - I've used my Budgetone and GXP2000's from the Internet- on direct IP connections with no problems. However, I'm about to deploy about 5 phones (either budgetone or GXP2000's) all on a LAN behind a NAT- on a different network than the Asterisk server. Should I look into using STUN servers? Will this setup be a problem? I've read about NAT and STUN on voip-info but am looking for more information.. btw- I'm not set on Grandstream. If you think Polycom or something can handle NAT better, then I'll use that instead. I guess there's no IAX phones yet... Thanks in advance.

There are a few ways to avoid the problem:
1) put a second interface on your asterisk box that is on the internal LAN (potential security hazard, but you may have a phone-only LAN segment and a secure DMZ in which case it
would be fine).
        2) Add a VPN between the 2 segments (similar issues to 1)
3) Add a small asterisk device to your 'inner' LAN and have it talk IAX to the main device on the DMZ 4) As per 3 but swap the machines, put a small device on the DMZ and the real asterisk
deep in your LAN.

4 is my preferred option, but your situation may vary.....

Others will tell you how to get the XXYZ phone to do NAT just right with the ABCD routers :-)

Tim.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk