Hi Chris -

I would like to convert a file to WAV49 for use with Asterisk using
the linux command line. Specifically I would like to upload sounds to
use for unavail.wav and busy.wav, but I'd like them to be compressed
so that space is not wasted.

I tried using SOX but havent found the correct command-line options to
make it or Asterisk happy.

You can just use gsm format.  It uses the same encoding as wav49.
Here's page on the wiki about using sox, in general:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Convert+WAV+audio+files+for+use+in+Asterisk

BTW: I'm a little curious about what application would require you to
conserve disk space that much, but not worry about conserving CPU for
transcoding sound files.

- Noah