Yuan LIU wrote:
From: "Yuan LIU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>But I'm curious as to the approach others use. Is doing dialplan
>coding in an AGI more efficient, or do people just do it that way
>because it's easier than learning dialplan code? Or are there some
>things that people think they can't do any other way?
>
>So I'm just after some ideas, really, possibly to work out if it's
>worth my while going down the AGI route for future projects, or
>not!?!

Gordon,

I haven't done half you have, so this is just based on what I have read (and tested) so far. You are probably asking about EAL rather than AGI. You'll need AGI only if there are functions you can't implement within Asterisk and you don't want to write a full application for Asterisk. If you are thinking about programming flexibility, EAL could be your friend because it has "programming language like" structures so your project remain manageable.

AEL, for Asterisk Extension Language, not EAL. See ael.txt or README.ael (depending on version) in doc/ directory. Shows how little I have learned about Asterisk.

Yuan Liu

We have chosen to do certain funtions in AGI using PHP because we do connections to mysql and some other stuff, and and I think you have much more control with DB-related issues with AGI then with normal dialplan(.conf or AEL). However, where we dont need DB access, we only now use AEL, it really is awesome.

--
thanks,
Yusuf