Copy and paste from my reply to a similar question a couple of weeks ago:

5000 sip registrations is quite a lot, but the more important thing is the number of simultaneous calls. If most of your calls is going to be SIP 2 SIP then I would suggest you use openSER for the SIP registrations and most SIP call routing and use asterisk only for calls to/from PSTN and media such as voicemail and announcements.

openSER is made for this and is a lot faster at doing SIP call setup. Then use asterisk where it is good. There are good examples of setting up openSER with asterisk on the net sharing a MySQL DB for users, auth etc.

Have a look at http://openser.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/asterisk:realtime-integration and other Asterisk related info at http://openser.org/dokuwiki/doku.php

Dominik Zalewski wrote:
Hi All,

One of my customer asked me if Asterisk can handle 7000 SIP users. They want anyone that have access to wireless hotspot to make voice calls to the office using software phone or SIP cordless phone.

Does anybody did such a setup? What are hardware requirements for server and how much bandwidth I will need using comercial codec?

Thank you in advance,

        Dominik