Gary H. Thompson wrote:
Hi,

Most of my experience in this field have been with Borland products, specifically Delphi. I also have been involved with database programming, same platform as the communications.

I can't tell you anything more helpful than Michael has. I purchased a tomb called "Fedora 5 and Red Hat Enterprise Bible" form Wiley press, which has been very helpful.

Also I would suggest purchasing or downloading "Asterisk The Future of Telephony". See the Asterisk Doc project:

http://www.asteriskdocs.org

I personally like a paper book to have around.

I am a Delphi man myself. As you become more familiar with and comfortable with Asterisk, you'll inevitably want to customize Asterisk's behavior through one of the interfaces available.

One of the most common is the AGI interface which allows Asterisk to communicate with external programs through standard input and standard output (ie: Writeln(), Readln()). You can call these external programs directly from the dialplan and most people seem to prefer PHP, bash or other integrated scripting.

Being a Delphi programmer as well, I wanted to let you know that I have had great success in using open source FreePascal and Lazarus IDE for developing linux based executables for the AGI interface which are basically just console type programs. I personally prefer using binaries because I think they execute faster than interpreted languages.

I wrote a Cepstral Text to Speech wrapper using those tools not too long ago. Info and source is available on the wiki:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DTSwift+Cepstral+AGI+Wrapper

When you're at the point where you want to start writing AGI and you if you decide to try freepascal/lazarus, that may help you get an idea of writing an AGI using FP/Laz.

Welcome to the community.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee