On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

        But I'm not talking about using the Flash as RAM, just using it for a
low-load persistent store like a HD, where a HD would be overkill in
every way.

I boot my systems off a flash IDE drive. There's a partition with just enough of a root filesystem to make lilo work, a /boot directory with a kernel image and memtest and an initrd.gz which is a compressed ext2 filesystem...

It is uncompressed into RAM and then the system runs entirely from RAM. There is a small 2nd partition on the device which I keep a tar-file of configuration settings. This us untarred once the system boots and fills in things like /etc/asterisk, /var/www/docs and a few other config files, including /var/spool/asterisk/astdb.

I have a 2nd flash IDE drive for voicemail. This is mouinted as a live filesystem and I use GSM only to store voicemail (so a 64MB device is going to give me many hours of VM storage).

Seems to work for me and keeps writes back to the important flash device (the boot one) to a bare minimum... I force fsck on the voicemail device at boot time, if there are any errors and I'm working on a 'sanitiser' too, which will remove any broken files - so it'll make sure there is a .WAV file for every .txt file and so on. I figure losing the occasional voicemail might be acceptable after someone pulls the plug on it. (and my experiences of this have been good in that I've nver yet lost a file)

Gordon