Bob Smither wrote:
On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 21:42 -0700, Yuan LIU wrote:

<snip>

You are right. zapata.conf is not used in IAX connections. My reading has led me to believe that manipulating gain on an IP PBX is neither necessary nor practical in VoIP channels, so Asterisk does not devise such settings.

Thanks Yuan.  I beg to differ with the developers if there really is no
amplitude control on IP channels.  I have an application where I am
studying the spectrum of recorded voice.  When I call into my Asterisk
box I have to hold the phone away and speak softly to avoid clipping the
recorded waveform - clipped waveforms play havoc with the spectrum.

I guess it is time to study the source code (ugh!).

The device doing the IP/TDM conversion should be the device that sets the gains correctly. The same applies to echo canceling.