Hi Steve -

Can you elaborate on this, "I changed to storing the voicemail via ODBC
on MySQL.  Each server had it's own local storage, and then MySQL
replicated the databases between the sites.  This setup was terribly
finicky and unstable.  It was much worse than the NFS mount.  I quickly
gave it up."

This sounds like it would probably work the best, especially if you have
users moving around between offices.  What was so "finicky" and
"unstable" about it?  I am not one to quickly give up.  I have found
that persistence pays off when the idea is sound.

Yeah, I thought I had found the silver bullet with MySQL replication
(the users do float between offices, so it seemed perfect).  There
were a number of problems, but in the end it was table corruption as a
result of the replication process that made me drop this solution.

At the time I set this up, MySQL replication was really designed for
one-way replication.  Two way replication was possible, but required
somewhat unorthodox methods.  (Maybe this has changed, I don't know).
Configuration is also a little tricky.  It's not too bad to set it up
between two machines, but 3 machines is more tricky, and 4 is even
more tricky, etc, etc.  This client had only 3 offices at the time,
but I knew they would be expanding.  They now have 6.

Anyway, after getting everything working, I found that replication
would periodically stop after some time.  I'd have to re-create the
setup, and then replication would work for a time, and then stop again
later.  This occurred across several different version of MySQL.  I
suppose I could have fixed this issue with persistence, but
unfortunately this was only an annoyance compared to the major issue
of data corruption.

When replication worked, it was inevitable that after a time the
voicemail storage table would experience data corruption.  Asterisk
did not handle this gracefully at all.  It was effectively a total
DOS.  This also occurred across several versions of MySQL.  Sometimes
I was able to repair the tables, but usually I couldn't, and the users
ended up losing quit a lot of voicemails.

I did not have the ability to spend the amount of time I needed to fix
the issue, so I scrapped the whole setup.  Regular local voicemail
storage has been flawless in all installations I've administered.

- Noah