On Thu, 24 May 2007, shadowym wrote:

So what is the bottom line? Does it work or not. I've heard stories it works, it doesn't work, it kinda sorta works when it's not raining out side. Everything under the rainbow.

If you're talking about running it as analog pass-thru over G.711u over SIP, especially over the Internet-at-large, that's the answer; it mostly works, unless it doesn't. Analog fax is highly susceptible to even very minute distortions introduced by jitter, 1-2% packet loss, and/or out-of-sequence RTP payloads. That's not something software can really
fix, except to the extent that T.38 may do so.

If you're talking about picking faxes up over TDM/POTS, it should work fine. I've set it up a number of times and never had any problems.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems